Proform SPX review at a glance:
- Cost effective, no frills spin bike
- Sturdy, balanced, durable
- Awesome cardio workout sitting or standing
- Great tension levels
- Adjusts to any frame
If you need cardio strength and want to invest in a exercise machine, then you want to invest in this bike. Work those legs and see just how far you can go with the right kind of exercise equipment. Of course, you need to choose something that will last. Which one should you get? Well, I train on this spin bike…
Let’s hone in on Proform 290 SPX. Your priority is to pay money for a piece of exercise equipment that you’ll be happy with. Whether you want one that’s fitted with the basics or one that comes with all the bells and whistles, it’s about making the right kind of purchase.
All about the Proform 290 SPX Indoor Cycle Trainer
A cycle trainer should provide you with a challenging experience all throughout. Your goal is to burn fat and to get blood pumping through your veins. And with the busy life you need, you’d appreciate a bike that provides you with a calorie-burning workout at the fastest possible time.
The Proform 290 SPX trainer comes with adjustable, nonslip handlebars for a stable workout. Some bikes can be quite uncomfortable. You start out fine, but you eventually realize that you can’t stay on the seat for long periods of time. With Proform, the seats are padded and can be adjusted horizontally and vertically for comfort.
As for the noise it makes, the chain drive system is superb on the Proform. It’s quiet and comfortable so you can enjoy listening to your music without ever worrying about the clanging noises that bikes oftentimes would make. This brand also comes with built-in transport wheels so that you can easily move your bike around.
The seat is well padded but many customers who have bought this spin bike have written on many online treadmill reviews that they have found the seat quite uncomfortable. Like all bikes it does take a transition period of a few weeks before you break in any seat. This is especially more true if you have never gotten on an exercise bike before.
Although the problem could be that the seat is quite narrow. A good gel cover will enhance the comfort and add a bit of extra width. If you’ve ever been to a spin class you’ll notice that these bikes were meant for standing up on rather than sitting most of the time. This will relieve the butt pain and also provide you with a way more intense workout.
As you work your way to a slimmer, healthier, and happier you, Proform is built with a 250-pound weight capacity. Suffice to say that it’s sturdy and reliable. And should you have problems, you get a limited 5-year manufacturer’s warranty on frame. As for labor and parts, you only get a 90-day warranty, which isn’t at all great. But remember the price is less than $300, so this is reflected in the warranty length. But the 290 is quite robust and made with minimal parts, so this shouldn’t be much of an issue.
Whether you’re a vigilant weekend warrior or an amateur, this bike has been built to cater to your needs. You can actually let go of that gym membership and work out at home. People who have invested in the 290 say that this is a reliable bike that’s meant to last a long, long time.
Proform 290 SPX Features
Now that you know what people say about the 290 SPX indoor cycle trainer, you should take a look at its parts and its benefits.
- Seat – It’s made with an adjustable seat padding to provide you with the comfort you need.
- Adjustment – The seat can be adjusted vertically and horizontally. Just see what suits your height best, and start your exercise.
- Handlebars – The non-slip grip attached to the handlebars have come with an ergonomic design to prevent both fatigue buildup and exercise discomfort. You can adjust the height on the bars as well.
- Pedals – The pedals come with a toe cage so that your feet stay in place even when you pedal furiously in place. For advanced bikers, the pedals can also be used the other way around for added intensity.
- Leveling Feet – You can adjust the stand on your bike so that you get stability even on uneven ground.
- Chain Drive – As mentioned previously, the chain drive system delivers comfort all throughout the ride.
- Transport Wheels – You can move your bike around or store it anywhere, thanks to the wheels attached to the bottom.
- Water Bottle Holder – If you want intensity, but need to replenish lost water, then you can put your water bottle on the holder and reach for it any time.
- 44-Pound Flywheel – Pedaling with be smooth with this sturdy flywheel attached to the bike.
What’s Behind the Proform Name?
Nowadays, you can find a variety of exercise equipment in the market. Some have broken the barriers of tradition, while others are considered revolutionary. However, people seem to still look for the basics. Proform has been there all throughout. They changed the treadmill industry and made a name for themselves. The company likes to think that they are able to merge quality and innovation as they make sure that people get the equipment they deserve. Nowadays, Proform is best known for designing machines with the SpaceSaver foldaway design, something that most homeowners appreciate.
What We Like
- Toe cages in pedals to stop your feet coming out
- Great price for a workout partner
- Super heavy fly wheel combined with chain drive provides smooth pedal movement
- Store the bike out of the way with easy push transport wheels
- Easy to assemble
- Adjustable seat and handle bar height
What We Don’t
- No console – if you want to track stats you’ll have to hook these up to your feet or wrist separately or buy a Cateye Velo to check your speed.
- Warranty only 90 days on labor & parts – although this is made by Proform & we don’t expect it to break in the short term
- 250lb max weigh- not good for larger folks trying to trim up
- No clip pedals if you want to use with cycling shoes (cages adequately cover for this)
- If you don’t like firm seats you’ll need to add a gel seat cover (priced $15-$45)
- Handlebars don’t go high enough for really tall users
- Seat doesn’t go down low enough for those close to 5ft in height
- Noise can get quite loud once machine is getting older usually if you don’t start with the tension at zero. Takes a while for resistance break system to warm up.
- If you are not used to the weighted wheel, slowing down may be a little confusing at first- the bike doesn’t stop instantly
There’s no denying that Proform has reached prestige because they’ve been in the fitness industry for quite some time and have continued to revolutionize their products. If you want a brand that works and is reliable, then this definitely is a good buy. At around the $300 mark, this proves to be a worthwhile investment.