Precor 9.27 – High quality machine as usual in Precor range – 12 mph top speed – 15% incline – 3.0 CHP motor – heart monitors and telemetry straps – 2 user ids – long 5 year warranty on parts & electronics
Precor 9.27 Customer Reviews
The Precor 9.27 gets good customer reviews. It has almost 5 stars (4.3 at the time of writing). It is another quality member in the family of Precor.
Precor have moved away from solely providing gyms and hotels their products. But they still put the same commercial components into their home style treadmills. You can then expect expert engineering, reliability and smooth performance.
This is the last model in Precor’s home series. The next model fits into what they term their Premiere Home range. Most of the features are the same, except they get upgraded in the pricier premium range. Rest assured then, as you get fantastic engineering and exceptional parts in the 9.27.
Precor do everything with precision in mind. They don’t offer folding treadmills as they sacrifice stability for space. Folding treadmills need a hinge, and this would cause the treadmill to wobble once it is flat and you are running on it. Why compensate by designing something to counterbalance this issue, when you can leave it out in the first place?
Granted if space is a necessity for you, and you don’t have a dedicated workout room then a fold up treadmill has to be on your list.
Precor focus on the actual running experience. It’s all about the feel, how your body interacts with the treadmill. Couple that with tough high grade parts, including the electronics, and stability, and you’ll soon appreciate why this costs more than a Horizon.
What Features Has it Got?
- Custom designed shock absorption called Ground Effects Technology – works with you to keep your natural running stride it place – monitors and adjusts individual shock absorbers
- 20 x 57 inch running deck
- Maintenance free treadbelt – no need to go tinkering under the bonnet with this one as it has been prepped with dry lubricant
- 2 user ids – suitable for his and her’s workout tracking
- Heart rate monitoring via touch sensors and telemetry heart straps
- 10 workout programs including weight loss, fun runs, heart training & hill climbs
- 12 mph top speed – very responsive speed increments
- Automatic incline slope of 15%
- 3.0 CHP smooth motor – suitable for pushing the treadmill up to 12 mph on a continual schedule
- Toughened steel frame, strengthened with powder coating, and welded so you won’t have to tighten the bolts
- Suitable for runners up to 350 pounds – manual says walkers up to 500 pounds can use it
If you are interested in comfort and longevity, the 9.27 is a good model to choose from. Precor also offers the 9.23. It uses the same parts and components. The only difference is in the user ids, the heart straps, the aluminum straddle rails and the extra workout programs. The warranties are identical with 5 years on parts and electronics and a lifetime on the frame and motor. These are not exactly upgrades that make a huge difference to justify the price difference, but Precor are like everyone else- they offer different features at different price points. It’s all part of the sales strategy and every company known to man use it.
As you will never have to apply lubrication to the belt, you can rest assured that you won’t ever forget about this complex chore. You won’t have to worry about blowing out a motor board because you didn’t apply enough lube, or you over applied it.
You won’t have to loosen the belt, tighten again, check if it’s taut enough, or worry if you’ve used the right lubricant in the first place. Cheap treadmills require a lot of maintenance, and if you forget to do this, or aren’t handy with DIY you can spend a small fortune in parts, just to keep your rickety treadmill going.
Who Are Precor?
Precor is owned by a company called Amer Sports. They are the company behind Wilson, Atomic, DeMarini, Nikita & Salomon. Amer is the largest sports company in the world. They produce everything from sports apparel to fitness equipment.
Precor was launched in 1980 and emerged on the market with rowing machines. In 1990 they launched the worlds first cushioned treadmill. After building up a successful company they began supplying hotels, spas and health clubs with their products and built up a small little business into one that was turning over 350 million dollars per year.
Although they have been slow to adopt to the latest technological and entertainment features that other manufactures have enabled their treadmills with – HDTV’s – iFit capable consoles – wireless connectivity – they have just recently integrated Directv – with the hotel and leisure industry, which will display 100+ HD tv channels on their consoles.
With this they are aiming to personalize the individuals workout experience on their treadmills. Lets hope they bring that new technology with them at a low price in their new treadmill models. It doesn’t currently exist on their home fitness products and it would do a lot to spice up a dull workout session.
Precor have received government & industry recognition for providing exceptional best business practices. The company also regularly supports YMCA projects, contributing $1.5 million since 2010.
What We Like About The 9.27
- Reliability – Precor cut it’s teeth in the Hotel & commercial gym industry and created a fantastic reputation for making outstanding products
- 15% slope powered via a lift that produces 700+ pounds of torque
- 12 mph top speed suitable for users who want to run
- Nice springy feel to running deck
- Very responsive speed incremental adjustments – if you are into interval training this is good
- Heart monitoring courtesy of hand rail touch sensors or more accurate heart straps
- Maintenance free treadmill – courtesy of steel welds, non lubricating belt, plus center belt mechanism that holds it firmly in place
- Good warranty – 5 years for parts and electronics (extends to 7 years if you register product) shows manufacturer confidence
Could Improve Upon
- Very similar stats to 9.23 model
- Quality comes at a price, one which is usually not suitable for anyone on a budget
- High quality speakers would be nice, unusual for a treadmill at this price not to offer them
- More workout programs
- A larger running area for anyone over 6ft 5 in or for someone who prefers a longer running stride
What We Think
This is another outstanding product by Precor and it is provides a comforting and reliable running deck to work out on. If you like the thought of not having to change parts on a regular basis the 9.27 is a safe bet.
If money is no option and smooth performance and freedom from maintenance is what you desire, the 9.27 will be a good friend indeed for you. Don’t expect it to yell at you via a touch screen, or built in speakers or HDTV, Precor prefer quietness and subtlety.