Precor 9.23 – entry level model – gym quality components – 15% automatic incline – 12 mph top speed – exceptional workmanship – precision engineered – 5 year warranty on parts + electronics
Precor is a name that stands for quality in the fitness industry.
They make premium quality products and the 9.23 is no exception. Precor have models like the 9.35 model with a higher feature level.
But you still get the unique Ground Effects cushioning technology that is present in the commercial range from Precor as well. This is the same level of features they put into their products that are installed in gyms and hotels.
Kind of the point of training on a treadmill, apart from all the new hi-tec features, is that it is comfortable to run on. The higher quality a treadmill is, closely relates to its cushioning system.
The machine will also incline up to 15% also and the top speed is 12 mph. It is therefore suitable for running on. So why should you choose a Precor?
Machine + Human In Harmony
The Ground Effects Impact System working in conjunction with Precor stride support, absorbs your weight while sensors record your movement and calculate the amount of speed at which your foot accelerates and pushes off the running deck.
In short inside the Precor 9.23 sensors calculate the slight nuances in your running stride and compensates for this with micro belt speed adjustments almost 57 times each second.
This data is reflected in how fast the belt is allowed to move, and how much absorption is applied by each individual shock absorber. The upshot of this is it works in harmony with your natural running stride.
There is more shock absorption at the front of the running deck, and less at the back to allow you to push off the deck in a stable fashion.
This is multi zone suspension at work; nicer on the quads, hamstrings, calfs and joints. Compare that to running on a hard surface like blacktop or the sidewalk. Not always compatible with your bodys mechanics. This is truly one of the highest tec treadmills for sale.
The console on the 9.23 is simple to use. The buttons are big and bold. The programming learning curve is very simple. Walk up to the machine – choose a preset and press start. This machine was designed with one purpose – to get you up and running pretty fast.
If you want to enter your weight and age, you will have to do this every time you use the machine, as you can’t store any data. Precor offer this feature on their higher models, but why they didn’t offer this feature is a puzzle.
If you are going to be running at top speed be careful. The machine does not have full length handrails so if you get in trouble you could hit the back wall in a hurry. Although you could jump off to the side. Some of you may enjoy the freedom and enjoy the breathing space anyway.
Precor 9.23 – A Long Lasting Product
To reflect that Precor build their products to last, there is a long warranty on the 9.23 treadmill. Just like on their newer 211 Energy series treadmill you get 5 years on parts and the electronics, plus a lifetime on the frame. Combine that with a powerful 3.0 CHP motor that provides plenty of torque, and Precor using tough 1 inch fiberboard on the deck, so it’s no surprise Precor can offer a five year warranty on parts.
The running deck is 57 inches in length, which will be fine even for runners just over 6ft in height. Treadmills are now emerging in the consumer market with longer decks but you still will have enough room to move on this machine. You will find treadmills like the Horizon T303 have a 60 inch length at most.
Although they are now receiving stiff competition in the hotel and leisure industry from the likes of Freemotion Treadmills, Precor have long been established as one of the leading dealers for supplying hotels and commercial gyms with hi spec, durable treadmills. As they have excelled in this area it shows they have a great heritage at engineering commercial quality products that are built to a very high specification.You just can’t get away with putting inferior products in hotel chains. If you did you would soon lose those all exclusive contracts and your name would be tarnished forever. Reputation is everything, and Precor put the same components into their home market treadmills as they do for hotels and gyms. You are getting tried and tested machines built to very high engineering standards.
Right now Precor are rolling out a new entertainment service for hotels and commercial gyms. They are providing treadmill users with the ability of watching over 100 high definition television channels via the consoles on their machines. It is another world first for Precor. We can only see this technology and wireless connectivity being offered in future workout machines.
What’s The Precor 9.23 Treadmill Got?
- The top speed is 12 mph – will suit fast running. Speed will adjust in 0.5 mph increments
- 6 workout programs – walk – weight loss – interval – hill climb – manual – fun run – if you want an intense challenge try the ironically named 10k fun run that inclines to 10%
- Heart rate monitoring via handrail touch grips
- 3.0 CHP Motor – powerful and consistent enough to use the treadmill at top speed with a 15% incline slope. This is reflected via the 5 year warranty.
- Top notch shock absorption courtesy of Ground Effects Technology – works in harmony with Precor Stride Support system to keep your natural running strides aesthetics in place
- 15% incline slope – great for challenging yourself with hill climbs
What We Like
- Cushioning and how the treadmill supports your mechanics – designed with the human body in mind instead of a – here is the machine, you adopt to it – style
- Quality materials used in the Precor 9.23 – enough said
- 15% incline and 12 mph speed equates to a challenging workout
- Outstanding performance – built for one thing in mind – continuous high quality performance
- The Precor 9.23 uses fast speed control changes – so suitable for interval training
- 5 year warranty on parts and electronics + lifetime on frame & welds – manufacturer exuding confidence in their product
- Frame is tough & welded so you won’t have to ever get the spanner out and tighten the bolts
- Precor have applied a dry silicon lubrication so you won’t have to worry about adding too little or too much
Could Improve upon
- Cooling Fan – unless you have air con in your workout room, a fan would be a nice basic option
- Surround Sound Speakers would match the luxury of the machine. You can get bored of all that luxury pretty fast when you are grinding out a workout in silence
- The option to fold depending on your room dimensions may or not bother you – it has transport wheels for aiding storing away. As it weighs 103 kg it would actually need a hydraulic component to help store
- Wireless connectivity – if the console could go wireless you could at least watch some YouTube videos or your favorite website for company – although may be coming soon (see above)
- A touch screen console would be a nice option
- User ids would be a good and relatively simple option for Precor to add. It means you wouldn’t have to update your weight and age stats each time you use the machine.
If you want a gym quality piece of equipment, this is a good choice. What are the advantages of gym quality products?
- Durability – both of the motor and the parts
- Stability – the machine is heavy and will remain sturdy during intense workouts
- The deck is self lubricating for one, so a lot of the maintenance is already taken care of
- Tried and tested manufacturer history of excelling in the commercial market. That means they know what they are doing in terms of engineering and mechanics
- Reliability – Why pay cheap when you’ll pay over and over again for parts
- Smooth to use and comfortable on the body – you’ll actually look forward to your workout
- Simple to use
- Warranty – 5 years is a long time on parts, if anything does go down
Precor aren’t known for their entertainment features. You will find this common denominator present throughout the rest of our Precor treadmill reviews. All their resources and expertise go into their workmanship and materials, of which are top notch. We would still like to see a little more programs on offer, some wireless connectivity and a bigger console screen, than the 4 x 3 in display available on the 9.23.
As they are now offering HD television programs in their treadmills in hotel fitness suites, we might be seeing some new features in future models.
If you are going to be hammering your treadmill at top speed on a 15% slope you want something built to last. The motor in the 9.23 is powerful enough for doing this consistently as it is strong and has a cooling fan specifically to prolong it’s use.
Think also of the strong phenolic (heat resistant + water repellent) fiberboard deck, that can be flipped to prolong it’s life, or the steel crown rollers that have been specially engineered to keep the treadbelt in a center position and running freely to prevent wear and tear.
With little but important details like this under the hood, you’ll soon gather the thinking behind having a product that lasts for the long term. And if it doesn’t 5 years on parts and electronics is a good bonus.