The C990 Treadmill is the latest edition to NordicTrack’s C Series. It’s unique selling points are an automatic 15% incline on a 60 x 20 track, and 32 pre-added workout programs. Additional features include wireless heart rate monitoring functionality, although its accompanying Bluetooth chest strap is separately sold. It is compatible with iFit as well.
NordicTrack C 990 Features:
Getting right into the review, here are the treadmill’s primary highlights:
- 32 Built-in Workouts: The NordicTrack C990 comes equipped with 32 workouts. These workouts are categorized into speed, intensity, and weight loss target along with programs that are customized according to your fitness level. You can select the pre-set workouts or opt for using the manual mode. For the latter, you can choose from 12 speeds and 15 incline levels.
- iFit-enabled: As if the 32 workouts weren’t varied enough, the C990 is enabled with iFit. This is probably the only main difference between this unit and the C970 PRO. The latter is compatible with iFit but you will need to get a module add-on. You will require a subscription for using iFit, and transport your treadmill into the virtual world. You will be able to download customizable workout programs, monitor your performance and even compete in online treadmill races with Facebook friends.
- Display Screen: The 7 inch LED screen is backlit and easy to read from any angle. The time, speed, distance, heart rate and calories burned are displayed. Compared to other NordicTrack models which have full color touch screens, this one is simple and basic but gets the job done.
- Audio: The C990 comes with an InterMix Acoustics sound system. There is a port for plugging in your mp3 devices so you can stream music through the machine’s console.
- Premium Quality Track: The C990 has one of the smoothest decks, measuring 60” x 20”, comfortable for most runners. The platform
gives excellent grip and has cushioning that can be adjusted. You can choose from a smooth track or even a road simulation.
- FlexSelect Cushioning: This is a features that can be enabled/disabled. Turning it on protects your joints and keeps the walk/run smooth. Turning it off simulates rough outdoor conditions and is quite challenging.
- Power Incline: You can easily adjust the incline on the C990 from 0% to 15% with a one-touch button. This can help you increase the calories you burn dramatically and tones different muscles.
- Commercial Motor: The 3.0 CHP motor on this unit is designed to perform quietly and comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Capacity: The C990 supports up to 325 pounds of user weight.
What Needs Improvement:
It is quite strange that the treadmill can be paired with a Bluetooth wireless system, but its chest strap isn’t provided. It kind of defeats the purpose unless you buy the strap separately.
The NordicTrack’s C990 Treadmill is a fantastic machine that gives the essentials needed for muscle toning and cardio training. The platform is long, the motor is strong, and it is easy to operate. To make your workout interesting and less monotonous, you can add a device as an add-on to entertain yourself.
As a basic exercise machine, this is a great unit. However, when compared against some of the other models that NordicTrack offers, this one seems to be behind in terms of features and performance. You can head over to our NordicTrack Treadmills and read about the other machines that the company offers.